Westoils Waste Disposal
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Services  |  F.A.Q    |  Links  |  Registration  |  Legislation Updates  |  Downloads

Current legislation Overview

If you produce or hold over 500KG of hazardous waste in any one year, you are required by law to register your premises with the Environment Agency and obtain a Hazardous Waste Premises code unless you are located in England SEE NOTE 1 . Hazardous waste is waste that can be harmful to human health or the environment This code needs to be renewed annually and you are required by law to have this code. You will also need it in place before a waste collector can make a collections from your premises. Your code has to be included on the consignment note issued by the company collecting your hazardous waste, This information is then submitted to the Environment Agency.

NOTE 1. As of 1st April 2016 if the premises producing the waste is located in ENGLAND you no longer need to register or pay the Environment Agency for a Hazardous-Waste-Producer-Code. You will now need to use the 1st six digits of your company name as your code on any paperwork produced in connection with the collection of your hazadous waste.

If you are located in WALES you can register for the Hazardous Waste Premises Code directly with the Environment Agency in the following ways.

By Phone: 0300 065 3000 - Monday to Friday - Between 9AM and 5PM

Via the EA Website: www.gov.uk/hazardous-waste-producer-registration-wales

Alternatively, West Oils Environmental Ltd can register your premises on your behalf for a small admin fee, we will also send a reminder when your code is due to expire, so you can be assured of staying within the law. If you require this service please contact us either by phone or using the form on the Registrations page.

Key points:

  • The registration is valid for 12 months and must be renewed each year - unless the premises produce, collect or remove less than 500kg of hazardous waste.
  • You can renew your registration up to one month before it runs out. You must make a completely new registration if your old registration has expired for more than 30 days.
  • Your premises must be registered, or exempt, to legally permit someone to collect your hazardous waste - you will need the registration number to complete the required paperwork.
  • You can be fined up to 5000 Pounds if you produce, hold or remove hazardous waste from premises that are not registered or exempt.
  • Premises in Scotland Or Northern Ireland are not required to register.